Date:      Sat, 10 May 1997 10:05:23 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Kevin Eliuk <cagey@kevin.sunshine.net>
To:        Paul Missman <missmanp@milo.cfw.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Installation Problems

On Sat, 10 May 1997, Paul Missman wrote:

>Hello,
>I am attempting to install freebsd from a dos partition ( I would have
>tried ftp, but com4, where my modem is, isn't supported).  So far, I've
>gotten the freebsd partitions created, and set up the mounts for
>/bogus, /,swap,/var, and /usr.  I've downloaded all of the /bin files
>from ftp.freebsd.org/pub/freebsd/2.2.1-release (bin.aa, bin.ab, etc.)
>into c:\freebsd\bin. At the end of the install procedure, it looks
>like it fsks (?) the partitions (slices), but when I try to boot from

fsck(8) - filesystem consistency check and interactive repair

>the completed process, it can't find the kernel, and in fact, says it
>can't find 0:wd0s3a, which should be filesystem root, where I would

/ should reside at wd0a

[ clip from sysinstall - help ]
The compatibility slice will eventually be phased out, but
it is still important right now for several reasons:

        1. Some programs, as mentioned before, still don't work
           with the slice paradigm and need time to catch up.

        2. The FreeBSD boot blocks are unable to look for
           a root file system in anything but a compatibility
           slice right now.  This means that our root will always
           show up on "sd0a" in the above scenario, even though
           it really lives over on sd0s1a and would otherwise be
           referred to by its full slice name.
[ /clip from sysinstall - help ]

Simply replace the `sd' for `wd'

>think the kernel image should reside.  Also, the installation process
>said that there were some errors, but I have no idea how to switch
>virtual consoles to see any messages, so I have no idea what might

In installation you can see error messages and the like by Alt<F2>

>not have completed. For your info, I'm doing this on a system with
>win95 and freebsd sharing a 2.5Gig drive.  Partitions and slices are
>as follows:
>
>wd0s1 FAT
>wd0s2 Extended
>wd0s3 freebsd
>wd0s1 /bogus
>wd0s3a /
>wd0s3b swap
>wd0s3e /var
>wd0s3f /usr

I suggest you allow it to set up your partitions in automatic mode and
the add or edit the slices from that point.

> That's about all I know at this point.  BTW, I skipped kernel
>configuration, assuming that if the kernel off the floppy image
>booted, it was ok for me to use.  Also, I have no idea what the
>options are for the boot process.

By doing the configuration setup you eliminate conflicts of drivers.
Doing this sets the parameters for the installed /kernel.

>P.S.  Processor is an AMD K5-133 (Pentium Clone).

Good Luck :-)

PS Relook over the install-notes re win95 to anticipate any more
problems :-(
	If I hadn't asked	|  \    kevin_eliuk@sunshine.net     /  |
      the questions I asked,  	|    \	     Kevin G. Eliuk        /    |
     I wouldn't be answering	|    /^\_________________________/^\    |
   the questions I'm answering. |  /    		             \  |