Date:      Sat, 23 Aug 1997 17:32:52 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Walter.Oostendorp@ict.nl
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dial in and dialout on one port

On Thu, 21 Aug 1997 Walter.Oostendorp@ict.nl wrote:

> I'm planning to configure a 2.2.1 box for both dial in by mgetty and
> dialout on demand by ppp. I can't find out if this is possible using the
> same port and modem for both.

I believe ppp will drop the appropriate lockfiles when it starts, so it
should be able to run at the same time.  Obviously, DON'T do this when
someone is on by the modem -- apparently ppp will _disconnect_ them to
start the dial!

I'd recommend not running ppp in -auto mode if you'll be expecting
callers or else they are going to be in for some fun surprises.

Spam routed to /dev/null by Procmail    | Death to Cyberpromo