Date:      Tue, 29 May 2012 19:14:51 -0400
From:      "Robert N. M. Watson" <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        vasanth rao naik sabavat <vasanth.raonaik@gmail.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org" <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: SMP: protocol control block protection for a multithreaded process (ex: udp).

On 29 May 2012, at 18:06, vasanth rao naik sabavat <vasanth.raonaik@gmail.co=
m> wrote:

> My main concern is about the protocol control block "inp", a reference in t=
he socket structure. the udp_detach() free'es the inp but there is a potenti=
al for other thread running udp_* functions to get hold of the reference? Al=
so, sofree() calls SOCK_UNLOCK() which potentially may allow other thread of=
 the same process to enter into the udp_* functions? I am not sure if that i=
s ever possible.

Hi Vasanth:

Are you chasing a bug, or is this a more intellectual exercise in understand=
ing the stack? The scenario you are describing should be prevented by the so=
cket-layer reference model and so should not occur unless a bug is manifesti=
ng. I am happy to answer questions about the model, but if you are running i=
nto problems it might be easier if I gave more directed advice about how to t=
rack problem.

When a socket system call takes place on a UDP socket, several data structur=
es are involved, each with its own life cycle and reference model. Most of t=
he time, calls like send() use a per-system call counted reference to the fi=
le descriptor to ensure valid access down the stack through the socket and i=
npcb code -- this works because the file descriptor owns a reference to the s=
ocket, and the socket owns a reference to the inpcb. udp_detach is called on=
ly when the reference count on the socket reaches zero, so the references do=
wn the stack held by invoking threads should prevent udp_detach from being i=
nvoked while they are running. The right way to view stability here is via t=
he reference model, not the locking model: locks come and go as data is proc=
essed and packets move around, but it is the reference counts that prevent f=
reeing of the sockt and hence inpcb. The perspective is slightly different l=
ooking "up" from the input side, where we sometimes do use locks to ensure s=
tability, but that is rarely the case in the down path. In UDP, unlike with T=
CP, socket close can only be initiated from the down path, not the up path.

If you haven't already read the large comment at the top of uipc_socket.c on=
 the socket life cycle, it would be a good idea to do so, as it lays out som=
e of the principles at play here.

Robert

> Thanks,
> Vasanth
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
> On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 5:06 PM, Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org> wrote=
:
>=20
> On Tue, 29 May 2012, vasanth rao naik sabavat wrote:
>=20
> Can somebody please reply to this email.
>=20
> basically, can udp_detach() and udp_send() execute simultaneously for a pr=
ocess with multiple threads? if yes, then inp reference in udp_send() will b=
e stale if udp_detach() free's the inp?
>=20
> You are confusing application-level close() with an actual close in the so=
cket implementation.  The socket will remain allocated as long as there are c=
onsumers using it, which is ensured through a reference count on the socket,=
 regardless of close().  That isn't to say that there aren't bugs -- this st=
uff is pretty complex -- but the life cycle and synchronisation models aroun=
d sockets should prevent the scenario you are describing from occurring.