Date:      Sat, 22 Nov 2014 19:54:25 -0500
From:      Henry Hu <henry.hu.sh@gmail.com>
To:        Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org" <freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Optimus support page

On Sat, Nov 22, 2014 at 7:17 PM, Henry Hu <henry.hu.sh@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 22, 2014 at 4:05 PM, Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org> wrote:
>
>> On 22 November 2014 at 13:04, Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org> wrote:
>> > Hi!
>> >
>> > I've gathered some info from the #freebsd-xorg channel populace about
>> > the Optimus support.
>> >
>> > Here:
>>
>> https://wiki.freebsd.org/OptimusVideoSupport
>>
>> It's a work in progress:
>>
>> * there's some patches to the port - hopefully it gets set to build
>> the optimus support as a default option so the binary packages support
>> it;
>> * the process for enabling/disabling it is clunky;
>> * having kernel awareness of this arrangement so it can be
>> disabled/enabled without having to unload the driver and fumble with
>> pci space config registers would be nice.
>>
>> I don't have any Optimus hardware at the moment (but donations are
>> appreciated! :-) so I'd appreciate feedback from Optimus users.
>>

> Instead of using "ConnectedMonitor" to fake a connected monitor, would it
> be better to use "UseDisplayDevice" "none"? That clearly represents that
> no monitor is connected.

I also need to specify extra ModulePath which points to a directory that
contains nvidia's libglx. I don't want nvidia's libglx to override the
default ones, or I won't have acceleration on main display.

> I just tried it and it looks like it works. The output of vglrun:
> 1984 frames in 5.0 seconds = 396.682 FPS
> 2285 frames in 5.0 seconds = 456.836 FPS
> 2300 frames in 5.0 seconds = 459.870 FPS

Oh, there was some misconfiguration and maybe it was using software
renderer...
Now it says

7823 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1564.500 FPS
8452 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1690.365 FPS
8446 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1689.161 FPS
8470 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1693.842 FPS
8451 frames in 5.0 seconds = 1690.162 FPS

and glxinfo says

name of display: :0.0
display: :0  screen: 0
direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: VirtualGL
server glx version string: 1.4
client glx vendor string: VirtualGL
client glx version string: 1.4
OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL renderer string: GeForce GT 650M/PCIe/SSE2
OpenGL core profile version string: 4.3.0 NVIDIA 340.46
OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 4.30 NVIDIA via Cg
compiler
OpenGL version string: 4.4.0 NVIDIA 340.46
OpenGL shading language version string: 4.40 NVIDIA via Cg compiler

--
Cheers,
Henry