Date:      Thu, 12 Sep 2013 06:44:27 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Disappointing dependency introduced in 9.1 (from 8-STABLE)

--QT6lf5OfG9h0BUaU4F2UIF7BvJArKKHvg

On 12/09/2013 05:53, Michael Sierchio wrote:
> Because I build a lot of embedded devices with serial consoles, I was i=
> the habit of hacking /boot/loader by commenting out a line in a Makefil=
> that enables terminal emulation
>=20
> /sys/boot/i386/libi386/Makefile:
>=20
> #CFLAGS+=3D -DTERM_EMU
>=20
> and then in /sys/boot doing a make clean && make
>=20
> unfortunately, with 9.X, this breaks the compile.  It seems a dependenc=
> was introduced which requires the videoconsole code.  I find this extre=
mely
> irritating.  Of course, there's nothing to stop me (at the moment) from=

> compiling loader under 8-STABLE and installing it on 9.1 machines, but.=
=2E.
>=20
> Is there a better way now to stop the cursor from scribbling illegibly
> across the screen?

Hmmm... normally you should be controlling build options by setting
WITH_FOO style flags in /etc/src.conf, although I can't see anything
obviously relevant in src.conf(5).

Did you raise a PR about this?  Requesting a means to have a loader that
only works via a serial console sounds like something that should be
supported.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20