Date:      Mon, 19 Sep 2005 20:37:20 +1000
From:      Peter Clutton <peterclutton@gmail.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   freebsd for windows PC games

>=20
> >> I am presently using windows XP as my OS using a LAN
> >> and I want to switch to Freebsd, but I have a few
> >> questions regarding the compatibility of the OS with
> >> windows PC games? Can I still run those games even if
> >> I am using the freebsd OS? If not, are there any more
> >> alternatives to run those PC games, and can those
> >> games run smoothly? (especially the multiplayer games)..

 There are linux ports of games available in the ports which you can often=
=20
run if you have the full pc version cd. Just follow the instructions of the=
=20
port to copy the right files in and you can play (FreeBSD has a linux=20
emulator).
 On the question of running them smoothly , as long as you have the hardwar=
e=20
for it, you will just need to install an up to dat FreeBSD driver for you=
=20
graphics card. Other than that, shouldn't be any slower than your used to.=
=20
If you go the linux port direction, it is said that often these apps run=20
faster than on linux itself.
 And talking about multiplyer games, there are some cool ports for running=
=20
servers like quake etc.