Date:      Tue, 17 Sep 2002 19:28:26 +0200
From:      Marcin Cieslak <saper@system.pl>
To:        Oliver Dove <oliverdove99@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sound on sony vaio - Kernel fails to boot

--bg08WKrSYDhXBjb5

I have exactly the same problem on my VAIO FX604.

With the module loaded (or pcm compiled-in)
The pcm0 on VIA VT82C686A gets probed and attached correctly.
Without modules, it just gets displayed as "chip1".

does not help at all - the module loads, device=20
still not connected.

I have commented out PnP ISA configuration
lines in isa_common.c (last section of isa_probe_children()).

Simple printf() tests show that the whole thing hangs
after returning from isa_probe_children() in configure()
               isa_probe_children(isa_bus_device);

Here's the snippet from /sys/i386/i386/autoconf.c:

----------------------------
               isa_probe_children(isa_bus_device);
#endif
        if (bootverbose)
                printf("Returned from isa_probe_children.\n");

        /*
         * Now we're ready to handle (pending) interrupts.
         * XXX this is slightly misplaced.
         */
        spl0();

        /*
         * Allow lowering of the ipl to the lowest kernel level if we
         * panic (or call tsleep() before clearing `cold').  No level is
         * completely safe (since a panic may occur in a critical region
         * at splhigh()), but we want at least bio interrupts to work.
         */
        safepri =3D cpl;
        if (bootverbose)
                printf("Configure is exiting.\n");
}

Those two bootverbose messages were added by me.
However, only the first one gets printed.
Seems like coming interrupt kills the whole thing...

ddb still works however

Any clues on further debugging?

--=20
                 << Marcin Cieslak // saper@system.pl >>