Date:      Sun, 13 Aug 2000 20:00:53 -0500
From:      "Josh Paetzel" <jpaetzel@hutchtel.net>
To:        "Tom Hines" <tomhines2@hotmail.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: HARD READ ERROR

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tom Hines" <tomhines2@hotmail.com>
To: <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Friday, August 11, 2000 9:57 PM
Subject: HARD READ ERROR

> Hi.  I'm running freebsd4.0-release for my desktop system at home.  My
power
> went off this morning and when it came back on and my system rebooted, I
got
> the following errors:
>
> ad1: HARD READ ERROR blk#1947472 ata0-slave: WARNING: WAIT_READY
> active=ATA_ACTIVE_ATA
>
> ad1: HARD READ ERROR blk#1947472 status=59 error=40
> ad1: DMA problem fallback to PIO mode
> mount: Input/output error
> Mounting /etc/fstab filesystems failed, startup aborted
>
> I ran fsck on all the filesystems.  I don't know why it's complaining
about
> ad1 -- freebsd is installed on ad0.  I do have one filesystem on ad1, but
> with nothing on it.  I fsck'ed it and it's clean.

FBSD is complaining about the filesystem on ad1.  I don't think you are
having a problem with the filesystem itself, though....it looks like FBSD is
unable to read a block off that drive.  You said that there is nothing on
that drive, but what filesystem do you have mounted on it?  If it is
something non-critical that the system doesn't need to boot then you could
try commenting out that filesystem in /etc/fstab and see if it boots then.

> Does anybody know what's wrong and how I can fix it?  Or why having the
> power shut off would fsck up my puter?  How about explaining the error
> diagnostics?  If I have to reinstall one more time I'd rather just shoot
> myself.

Fsck always runs on boot if the filesystem is not dismounted properly.
(i.e. if the power is shut off while the system is running.)  I have heard
rumors that shutting off the power on a running system can occasionaly
damage a filesystem, but I've never seen that personally.

Josh