Date:      Tue, 14 May 2002 17:53:51 +0200
From:      Axel Scheepers <axel@axel.truedestiny.net>
To:        Graham Lillico <graham_lillico@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IPF and Traffic Graphs

Hi Graham,

On Tue, May 14, 2002 at 04:18:15PM +0100, Graham Lillico wrote:
> Does anyone know of a traffic monitoring tool similar to Linux's ipacsum
> that is compatiable with IPF?

I made some scripts based on rrd tool maybe you can change them
to acquire the appropiate values from ipfstat.
See http://axel.truedestiny.net/~axel/Projects for some starting
points, nothing fancy, just some handy shell scripts.

You can take the NetTraf script, which is very simplistic and
change the updte section to make it use ipf, and implement
other neat graph things. Actually, rrdtool is quite simple to use,
and might IMHO do the job best, since you have _total_ control
about what you want to display in your graphs.

> As I would like to monitor the traffic going in and out of my firewall's
> interfaces.  All I really need is something to produce a couple of small
> graphs (in and out) for each interface.  I would ideally like to avoid using
> MRTG and it seems a bit of overkill for what I want to do.

RRDTool is a bit smaller then MRTG, see my NetTraf script to do
just this. It's very small and only depends on snmp/rrdtool. If
that's to much, you can easy hack out the snmpget part and replace
it with a shell script which parses the output of e.g. ifconfig
to get the values.

Anyway, it's running fine for me.

> Regards
>
> Grez..