Date:      Fri, 2 Jul 2004 00:52:09 -0400
From:      Karl Heller <karl@akheller.net>
To:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@scsiguy.com>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Adaptec 2940S76 not recognized

Originally this card was showing up as :

Jun 30 16:22:18 rns /kernel: pci0: <unknown card> (vendor=0x9004,
dev=0x0178) at 9.0 irq 10

However, I'm thinking this was because the bios wasn't enable on the
card.  After some magic and control-a work the card showed the adaptec
bios logo screen (which it hadn't in the past).  I thought nothing of
this since I have a few others that don't either.

However, it is now reported as
ahc0: <Adaptec 2940 Ultra SCSI adapter> port 0xc800-0xc8ff mem
0xdc00b000-0xdc00bfff irq 10 at device 9.0 on pci0
ahc0@pci0:9:0:  class=0x010000 card=0x00000000 chip=0x81789004 rev=0x00
hdr=0x00

This isn't an Ultra SCSI card, even though the board says 2940/2940U
the chip is a 7870P.

1.  How compatible is the 7880 with the 7870?
2. Is there anyway to probe further and/or hack this to work using the
correct chip initialization?

Thanks!

Karl

On Jun 30, 2004, at 11:02 AM, Justin T. Gibbs wrote:

>> Can anyone give me some quick pointers on how to modify the
>> aic7xxxx_pci.c
>> files to recognize this card.  I'm surprised this hasn't been caught
>> yet.
>
> Can you provide the PCI IDs for this controller?  "pciconf -l" should
> give the necessary information.
>
> --
> Justin

"The number of people that can reason well, is much smaller than those
that can reason badly.  If reasoning were like hauling rocks then
several reasoners might be better than one.  But reasoning isn't like
hauling rocks." - Galileo