Date:      Sat, 5 Jan 2002 20:12:09 -0800 (PST)
From:      Thomas Cannon <tcannon@noops.org>
To:        Jud <jud@operamail.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Advice on creating partitions

> Just wondering:  I have an 11gb /usr in my current setup that includes
> /usr/home.  Would there be any advantage to dividing this up into /usr
> and /home?
>
> Jud

Unlikely. There would be times that it could be useful, though. Like, if
you had a seperate disk to mount it on, then it would be highly useful.
Chances are, though, that by breaking your drive into a bunch of smaller
partitions you'll just end up making your own life more difficult. You'll
have to keep a closer watch that you don't fill either of your two smaller
partitions and end up moving things around later instead of just having
the space manage itself in one larger partition.

I personally tend to go with a few large partitions, like /, /var, and
/usr (and of course <swap>). But that's me. I'm sure someone else will
come along and argue about how if you have more partitions you'll be less
likely to lose the whole machine if one partition gets corrupted or fills,
and make wonderful points contrary to my own. But I've never had a
partition crap out on me, and I have run out of room and played the
symlink game trying to borrow space from elsewhere on the drive to make up
for it, and it sucks aplenty. So that's where my opinions come from.

Thomas