Date:      Mon, 19 Jan 2004 22:55:39 -0500
From:      "Jonathan T. Sage" <sagejona@theatre.msu.edu>
To:        Al Johnson <haldoggie@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Documentation and DocBook SGML

--------------enigAEA81D433076EE5A8CC80FF7

Al Johnson wrote:
> I'm learning about the FreeBSD documentation, and have read the
> primer at:
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/fdp-primer/
> and have a question.
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/docproj/sgml.html
> states: "The Documentation Project is trying to use SGML as the
> standard method of representing the documentation."
>
> DocBook has been defined using both SGML and XML
> (a subset of SGML).
>
> My question is: Why does the FreeBSD Documentation Project
> prefer SGML to XML?

it's possible I'm reading things wrong, but it appears as those XML is a
subset of SGML. While I am by no means an active docbook person, my
guess would be the fact that in XML, a tree is required, (i.e.,
everything is a nest of a nest of a nest).  I see very few instances
where this would be all that appropriate for this sort of structure,
particularly in a manual type format.  While the term "outline"
certinally works, ITEM1 - PREAMBLE is not the same significance as ITEM2
- CONFIGURATION, etc.  XML forces a very rigid structure, where it looks
like SGML is a bit more freeform.

just my $0.02

~j

--