Date:      Thu, 11 Mar 1999 13:57:59 -0800 (PST)
From:      patl@phoenix.volant.org
To:        "Jose M. Alcaide" <jose@we.lc.ehu.es>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ports cannot fetch source

> > Ilias Sachpazidis wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I  think that there is a little problem with ports :
> > >
> > > r412:/usr/ports/misc # cd most
> > >
> > > r412:/usr/ports/misc/most # make
> > > ftp://gaia.cs.uoi.gr/pub/FreeBSD/ports/distfiles/.
> > > fetch: illegal option -- A
> >
> > Just in case that you don't want to remake the world, install
> > the package 31upgrade-1999.03.08.tgz from ftp.freebsd.org.
>
> Nice theory; but the 31upgrade port doesn't actually install anything.
> The DISTFILES is '# empty'; and there's a .if that issues a BROKEN
> if you aren't building packages.  (Unless it's been fixed since the
> wee hours of this morning.)

Oops.  Momentary port/package confusion.  (These things sometimes
happen when I'm trying to do six things at once and haven't had
lunch, or even breakfast, yet.)

Of course you need to install the PACKAGE, not the PORT.  Although,
come to think of it, why couldn't the port just fetch and install
the package?

-Pat