Date:      Mon, 16 Apr 2001 16:15:55 -0500
From:      Ade Lovett <ade@FreeBSD.org>
To:        patl@Phoenix.Volant.ORG
Cc:        Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: GNOME 1.4...

On Sun, Apr 15, 2001 at 02:01:37PM -0700, patl@Phoenix.Volant.ORG wrote:
> There was a recent posting on this subject.  Apparently, it
> would affect quite a few ports; and it is felt that this change
> is too big to occur so close to the FreeBSD 4.3 release.  Once
> 4.3 has been nailed down, GNOME 1.4 shouldn't be too far behind.

However, I can announce that, for those that really don't mind
trashing their machines, the first 1.4 release candidate can be
found in both source and binary form starting from:

        http://www.lovett.com/~ade/gnome/

Unless there are absolutely show-stopping bugs, and note that for
FreeBSD/GNOME, if nautilus proves unreliable, it will be canned and
gnomemc will be put back in, I plan on committing this approximately
two weeks from today (04/30/2001).

In order of priority:
	port infrastructure/packaging bugs
	bugs specific to FreeBSD
	GNOME bugs (please use http://bugzilla.gnome.org -- reports
	   sent to me generally get dumped in the round file)

Finally, whilst I've hosted the packages and distfiles, please don't
abuse this, and where possible try to build your own packages from
source, using MASTER_SITE_GNOME.

Thanks,
	-aDe

--