Date:      Fri, 29 Sep 1995 18:38:58 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        litteken@txcc.net (Todd Litteken)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: STILL faulting..

Todd Litteken stands accused of saying:
> I dont beleve you can say it is hardware.. I was getting page falts
> also.. Thay wernt bad tell i tried compiling the 2.1 src.. then it was
> every couple of min. it would falt.. I ran the ram through a test box and
> put the system through a full diag.. there is no hardware problems with
> mine.. then after the upgrade the falts stoped.. Also not that thay
> started showing up when i increased my max proc to 128..

There are several issues here.  Firstly : there are very few DRAM testers
out there that are capable of stressing a part to the same degree that hard
work in a running system does.  Unless you spent tens of thousands of
dollars on your tester, it won't report anything other than gross faults.

None of the PC diagnostic packages I've met claim to stress-test RAM either.
(In fact, most explicitly point out that they don't.)

I've no idea, however, what you mean by 'after the upgrade', so I can't
be sure that you weren't seeing a totally unrelated problem.

The original respondent, however, was repoting a problem with a known
version, and under those circumstances, it's much easier to be certain.

>  Litteken

]] High-speed data acquisition and                                      [[
]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax) +61-8-267-3039         [[
]] My car has "demand start" -Terry Lambert  UNIX: live FreeBSD or die! [[