Date:      Sat, 11 Nov 1995 00:21:06 -0800 (PST)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@ref.tfs.com>
To:        vince@apollo.COSC.GOV (-Vince-)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ppp/slip via telnet/rlogin

> On Mon, 6 Nov 1995, Michael Smith wrote:
>
> > Now, firstly, your diagram wasn't worth spit, which is why I never bothered
> > trying to make sense of the accompanying message.  Second, you're _still_
> > not explaining what you're trying to do.
I think we've second recipient of the poul henning award for diplomacy

> 	Okay, hopefully I can explain it better here...
>
> > So, in the hope that we'll get your two-stroke neuron ticking over, let's
> > ask a few questions :
Yes, definitly a candidate..

Ok I understand the problem as I've tried to do the same
thing..
What he wants to do is set up a path, which is part dialup line, and part
telnet session, to a machine where he can run a slip (or ppp) server..
on starting up slip on the far machine he would like to then suspend the
terminal session, and start slip on the local end..
in other words, he wants to be able to log in through a pty and have a
sliplogin start up, back through the telnet session  AND the dialup
link.

I did do this once, but then the old slip and ppp code was changed,
so that they would specifically test for a pty before pushing themselves
onto the tty, and refuse if it was.. I thing someone thought this was
a good idea but I don't know who.. if you can run iij as a login
then it may still be able to do this as it doesn't use the  kernel ppp
module (which explicitly refuses to do this)

I haven't played with iij  so don't know how either of those enter into the
picture..

julian