Date:      Wed, 3 Jan 1996 11:26:40 -0800 (PST)
From:      kline@tera.com (Gary Kline)
To:        goerzenj@complete.org (John Goerzen)
Cc:        d_burr@ix.netcom.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: User-level and administrative diff's between BSDi and FreeBSD?

According to John Goerzen:

> I may be wrong, but I thought that Taylor UUCP could be configured (or
> compiled) to use HDB configs.

	If you get the latest Taylor src, v1.06.1, you'll see that
	you _can_ get HDB-style behavior to at least some degree.

	Ian Taylor has a matching v1.06.1 set of docs in all flavors
	that are honestly worth reading.  Usually the code is easier
	to understand than the docs, but here the documentation is
	pretty good.

> On Sun, 31 Dec 1995, Donald Burr wrote:
>
> > I just picked up the latest edition of "UNIX System Administration
> > Handbook" (an EXCELLENT reference text, btw; I'll be sending highest
> > kudos to the authors).
> >
> > While it doesn't go into details about any of the Free*BSD's nor Linux,
> > it DOES go into details of a lot of the workstation OS's, including HPUX,
> > Solaris, ... as well as BSDi on 80x86's.
> >
> > So, my question is: how "similar" or "dissimilar" is BSDi from FreeBSD?
> > in terms of the user interface, system admin tools, programming
> > environment, etc.?  (i.e. are most of the user-land commands available in
> > FreeBSD, available on BSDi and do they work similarly?  And
> > vice-versa)... well, you get the idea.
> >
> > I know there'll be differences, and I'm expecting that: f.e. I know that
> > BSDi uses its own UUCP derived from the original BSD UUCP, with its own
> > enhancements, while FreeBSD uses Taylor UUCP with the weird Taylor-style
> > config files (I much prefer standard HDB configs, but that's another
> > story).  So I'm not expecting them to be THE SAME.
> >
> > I just figured that BSDi, since both it and FreeBSD were based on the
> > 4.4-lite (please correct me if I'm wrong on this), that they should be,
> > in large part, fairly similar.  Of course, I've never used BSDi, so I
> > can't say this with conviction.  That's why I'm asking you folks :)

	BSDI may (??) be based on the 4.4alpha release of BSD
	which had a lot of the old (proprietary) code.  As far as
	Taylor uucp is concerned, it is more flexible in many ways
	than the older HDB version.  I'm used to HDB myself, but
	lacking the $140,000 for the UNIX source, I'm ready for
	alternative ways.

	gary kline

	PS:  Last night, I got Taylor dialing in to my mail site, (!)
	When I've figured out more features, I'll publish my few pages
	of HowTo's.  Or make them available.