Date:      Tue, 09 Jan 1996 22:57:49 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        "John D. Chabalko" <jchabalk@penc44.penc.udel.edu>
Cc:        bugs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IDE CD-ROM

> crashed the machine. I tried setting the drive as master and the same
> problem happened again. I install over the network, configured and

Slave was correct.  Can you try compiling another new kernel and this
time commenting out the entry for wd3?  E.g. you should still have the
two WD controllers (wdc0 & wdc1) but only wd0, wd1 and wd2.

To be honest, I don't think anyone's even tested this particular
configuration.  It's usually (at the most) 2 IDE drives, both on the
first controller, and 1 IDE CDROM alone on the second.  Can you
operate for short periods without your 3rd IDE drive?  It might be
worth an experiment to see if it works with the IDE CDROM alone on the
2nd controller (wd0 and wd1 in kernel only).

					Jordan