Date:      Fri, 7 Jun 1996 07:35:41 -0500 (CDT)
From:      ptroot@uswest.com (Paul T. Root)
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD growing pains

In a previous message, Doug White said:

> On Fri, 7 Jun 1996, Randy DuCharme wrote:
>
> >     Many thanks to all who have helped so far with my early "FreeBSD journey" difficulties.  There's a couple more things that I can't seem to fix.
> > 1)  In X, using the fvwm window manager, when I start an xterm window from the utilities popup, the window opens with the following...
> >      xterm: Can't execvp tcsh
>
> Oh, what is the solution to this?  Did you take "COMPAT_43" out of your
> kernel?  If so put it back; xterm is one of those archaic apps that needs it.

Or could it be as simple as he doesn't have tcsh installed. The default menu
of fvwm starts tcsh instead of just your default shell.

Edit /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fvwm/system.fvwmrc somewhere around line 363:
from:
        Exec    "Xterm"         exec xterm -e tcsh &
to:
        Exec    "Xterm"         exec xterm &

Paul.

--
Paul T. Root - USWEST !NTERPRISE Networking Service	ptroot@uswest.com

"My other major appointee will be Gen. H. Norman Schwarzkopf. I realize that,
 by putting this man in my administration, I run the risk of becoming wildly
 popular, but that's a risk I am willing to take.  He'll be in charge of
 battling a domestic scourge that is every bit as much of a threat to this
 nation as any foreign power. That's right: I'm going to place him in charge
 of the War On Light Beer. As Light Beer Czar, Gen. Schwarzkopf will have a
 two-pronged mission, which is to find out (1) who is making this stuff, and
 (2) what happens to their breweries when you drop bombs on them."
        --- Some of Dave Barry's presidential campaign promises, 1992