Date:      Sun, 8 Dec 1996 14:28:10 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Joel Sutton <suttonj@interconnect.com.au>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Driver for Colorado Jumbo 350 Floppy Tape Drive

On Sun, 8 Dec 1996, Joel Sutton wrote:

> I have recently purchased and set up a Jumbo 350 tape drive on my FreeBSD
> 2.1.5 machine without too much hastle but I am having trouble in that the
> ft driver does not seem to recognize the geometry of my 170Mb tape. I get
> part way through my backup and then the tape drive tries to wind the tape
> on further than it can actually go, giving off a whole bunch of write
> errors.

What is the command line you're using?  If you're using dump, you need to
tune your B and b parameters (blocksize & blocks/tape)

Floppy tapes are not well supported.  The only ones that are is the QIC-40
and -80 compatible tape drives.

> I have be searching through the mail archives and I have found references
> to a new driver called "lft" which is (was?) being tested. Is it still
> available? Where could I find a copy? Or perhaps it is going to be
> included in 2.1.6???

It should be, although I haven't heard of any progress recently.  It
should be on freefall (ftp://freefall.freebsd.org/pub/incoming).