Date:      Mon, 17 Mar 1997 17:41:52 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Jaime Bozza <wheelman@nuc.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 2.2

On Sun, 16 Mar 1997, Jaime Bozza wrote:

>    I noticed that FreeBSD 2.2-RELEASE is out.  I'm looking at what's
> involved in switching my 2.1.x (mostly 2.1.7's) systems over.  Other than
> doing an "upgrade" install, are their other easier ways to upgrade?

That *is* the easiest way to upgrade, IMHO.

FreeBSD Upgrade Checklist for 2.2:

1)  Boot the new floppy.  Select the 'update' option.  Follow the prompts.
Make sure you MOUNT your filesystems and not NEWFS them.  Select the same
distributions you did originally (including the kernel source, src/ssys!)
and any you wish to add.

2)  Hit 'commit' to start the upgrade.

3)  When you're dumped to a shell prompt:

	. Your /etc directory is preserved as it was for 2.1.x.  You will
	  want to look in /etc/upgrade, which contains new & updated files
 	  for this release.

	. Using your old sysconfig as a guide, create a new sysconfig using
          the one in /etc/upgrade as a template.

	. Copy over the rc* files from upgrade/, so new features in
          sysconfig are used.  Merge in any local changes, if necessary.
          If you are getting unusual messages from ipx, you forgot to do
          this.

 	. Migrate other files as necessary.

5)  Reboot, recompile & reinstall your kernel, reboot again, and enjoy.

> noticed there isn't a FreeBSD-stable that I can sup from (something which
> I enjoyed with 2.1.x) but there *IS* a ctm tree.  Would I be able to
> remove my current /usr/src tree and replace is with a ctm'd 2.2-RELEASE
> tree?  Then recompile, make my kernels, and reboot under 2.2?  If so, what
> should I be aware of?  (For instance, major changes to /etc or /var trees)

Yes, you could build completely from scratch.  Sup has been replaced with
cvsup, IMHO a much superior system.  Packages & ports are available
through the respective trees.  You'll have to install the modula-3 libs as
well to get it working properly, but once it gets going, look out :)

cvsup comes with a conversion utility to bring over your supfiles to
something cvsup can use.