Date:      Mon, 7 Jul 1997 11:47:52 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        tom@sdf.com (Tom Samplonius)
Cc:        costa@inner.cortx.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sd0 timed out while idle

> > button.  Once i rebooted the SCSI bios check could not find my HD.  only
>
>   Throw the drive away, because it is going bad.

Or jumper it to spin up without a reset command, so that it is
on line before it is probed to see if it is online.

Or set the BIOS settings for the controller to have a higher
delay after the reset before the probe.

Seriously, I've had a number of drives which showed up when the
machine went through the cold POST, but not when the machine did
a warm reset.  They were all spin-up-timing issues.

>   Chances are the drive is spinning down, and you need a power cycle to
> get it going again.  Very bad.

You can turn this off in mode page 3, if it is happening (if I
remember my "green drives" correctly -- I don't buy them, since
"green" systems take about 5 times the energy to manufacture as
they are expected to use in their lifetime -- they are only
useful in laptop form-factor as battery life extenders, IMO).

>   The ahc driver in 2.2-stable is better at kick starting stalled drives.
> But even if it fixes it, it is just a matter of time before your drive
> spins down for the last time.

I agree that spinning down-up-down-up is a bad thing.  Disable the
"feature" if you can.

You may also want to consider that the drive may be spinning down
because it has overheated, and in reality, what you need is to fix
your fan, or add a fan, or mode the machine away from the wall, etc..

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---