Date:      Thu, 11 Sep 1997 14:14:15 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Alexander Litvin <archer@lucky.net>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Quota system is broken?

> Is the quota system known to be broken?  We've tried using it and to say
> it's unreliable is an understatement.  For example, I have several users
> who are completely unrestrained by quota, despite being set up identically
> to others where it does work.  All the commands, such as repquota, report
> they *have* a quota, but they can just keep on writing.  On others, I can
> set quotas all I want, the system won't recognize them.  And in other
> accounts, quota reports usages completely wrong, e.g.

> Disk quotas for user skunk (uid 1045):
> Filesystem  blocks   quota   limit   grace   files   quota   limit grace
>       /usr  127264*  40960   51200    none     325       0       0
>       /var       2    1024   10240               2       0       0

> In reality, this user has over 150 megs in /var and only 35 megs in /usr.
> Despite being marked as over and no grace left, he can still write in
> /usr.

> We're running 2.2.2.

To the quota topic: I'm not sure that it is quota system bug, but
we found here that exeeded quota doesn't prevent user from receiving
mail -- mail.local successfully writes to mailbox of such a user.

What appeard is that mail.local first opens a mailbox, than changes
euid to that of the user, and then writes to mailbox. In such
scenario write doesn't fail as it fails when program first
changes euid and only than opens a file.

Should I patch mail.local, or this is the quota implementation bug?

--
Alexander Litvin

Duty Postmaster, Lucky Net Ltd.