Date:      Thu, 26 Mar 1998 00:28:21 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        belkovic@albert.osu.cz (Josef Belkovics)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ip forward-protocol udp 170

> > > Analogous there is necessity to forward broadcast (?) for wins, browser
> > > dhcp etc. services under nt, w95.
>
> > DHCP forwarding is done by DHCP proxy (see the RFC).
>
> Is there DHCP proxy under FreeBSD? I use ISCdhcpd beta_5_14 and I think
> that it isn't DHCP proxy.

Check out the WIDE project (Japan; origin of IIJPPP, if I recall...).

I *thought* the most recent ISCdhcpd handled it, too, but I could
be mistaken (I read the DHCP RFC's more than I read the code).

> I am trying to forward UDP packets from microwave bridge. Management for
> bridge runs on novell. Under cisco router I forward UDP packets with the
> aid of 'ip forward-protocol udp 170'. My question is how I get this
> function under FreeBSD? Now I know about natd (network address
> translation). Do you know another solution?
>
> (Next, I have other microwave bridge. This has ip, management runs on w95.
> But implementation of ip stack is strange (bridge certainly isn't able to
> fragmentation) and I can't use management program behind router (cisco or
> FreeBSD). So I also want to use natd.)

You may be looking for the wrong tool.

Probably you want to use an "DIVERT" rule in the ipfw, then in the
user space program at the other end of the divert, use the BPF to
forward the UDP packet.

Port 170 UDP is reserved for Network PostScript print servers, btw...
so you are doing nasty stuff.  8-(.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---