Date:      Tue, 15 Feb 2000 00:23:55 -0500
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        Dan Busarow <dan@dpcsys.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   dhclient.conf (was: Re: Using yi.org and bsdonline.org to update IP)

On Mon, Feb 14, 2000 at 07:03:15PM -0800, Dan Busarow wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Feb 2000 BSD-Dubbs@cfl.rr.com wrote:
> > I am using RoadRunner and to keep from dealing with the hassle of a
> > rotating IP I decided I would use YI.org and BSDONLINE.org to maintain
> > a virtual domain of sorts that pointed to my domain. I downloaded the
> > shell scripts and have them edited for my account...now comes my
> > question...
> >
> > How do I make it so that when dhclient updates my IP lease that it also
> > runs these scripts...I put them in my / directory and they are names
> > bsdonline_ipup.sh and yiorg_ipup.sh ... just wondering what the next
> > step is...thanks....
>
> Don't have a step by step for you but /etc/dhclient-script is just
> a sh script run by dhclient to do the updates.  Look for the places
> where it does a
>
>      route add $new_ip_address
>
> and have it run your scripts there.  I do this to update my rc.firewall
> rules and it seems to work fine (though my ip address hasn't changed
> since we installed it).

I'm actually going to try some pretty adventuresome stuff with my
"new" notebook PC. I want to be able to freely hook it in to my home
LAN, _my_ office LAN, and the office-wide LAN. DHCP seems the best
option for this. I've set up the DHCP servers apparently without a
hitch, but the notebook client has been giving an error that has me
stumped.

My ep0 PC-Card does not properly detect the medium in use (it can be
UTP or BNC and it defaults to UTP, the wrong choice). All I have in
/etc/dhclient.conf is,

# $FreeBSD: src/etc/dhclient.conf,v 1.1.2.2 1999/08/29 14:18:41 peter Exp $
#
#       This file is required by the ISC DHCP client.
#       See ``man 5 dhclient.conf'' for details.
#
#       In most cases an empty file is suffient for most people as the
#       defaults are usually fine.
#

# 2000/02/14 - cjc: Global settings for DHCP
option host-name "cjc-notebook";

# 2000/02/14 - cjc: The ep0 device needs a hint to use 10Base2
interface "ep0" {
        medium "link1";
}

#interface "xe0" { }
#End

From all I can see on the manpage, dhclient.conf(5), this is a
perfectly correct file. It is very similar to, but more simple than,
the example given on the manpage. However, when dhclient runs, I get,

dhclient: /etc/dhclient.conf line 12: expecting a statement.
dhclient: option
dhclient: ^
dhclient: /etc/dhclient.conf line 15: semicolon expected.
dhclient: interface
dhclient: ^

I've tried many different permutations of this file and I always get
these type of errors. I must be missing something obvious.

Thanks.