Date:      Sun, 28 Sep 1997 09:28:36 +0200 (SAT)
From:      John Hay <jhay@mikom.csir.co.za>
To:        bazilio@ied-vorstu.ac.ru (Vasily V. Grechishnikov)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Tulip IPX support in -current unimplemented, why ?

>      I have the following problem:
> 	My FreeBSD box runs FreeBSD-current and it provides
> IP/IPX routing between the four newtwork interfaces ( 3 NE2000 + 1 Tulip).
> Sometime ago since the CVSup'ing of -current my tulip card couldn't assign
> IPX address to interface by the ifconfig. I seen at /pci/if_de.c and can't
> find implementation of IPX portion of code for ioctl requests
> ( SIOCSIFADDR).

FreeBSD actually have a common handler for some (SIOCSIFADDR, SIOCGIFADDR
and SIOCSIFMTU) ethernet ioctls called ether_ioctl() which should be
used by the ethernet device drivers. That way they don't need to do
anything special to support IPX. The problem is drivers like the deX
device that actually comes from a third party and other drivers like the
epX driver which has never been updated to use the common ether_ioctl().

> 	After patching I can work with IPX on tulip but, the next
> misteriuos thing is happen :
> 	IPX packets to one of my networks, connected to tulip card
> can't successfully forwards from the remote network :
>
> 	    NET 0				  NET 1
>
>          Broken IPX net.			Good IPX net.
> 	*--------------- Tulip (             ) NE2000 ------------*
> 			       ( FreeBSD box )	Good IPX net
> 		      +--------(             )NE2000--1'st if(*)2'nd if--+
> 		      |				         NetWare 3.12    |
> 		      |				  NET 2		         |
> 		      |				   		         |
> 		      |						       NetWare 4.1
> 		      |  NET 3
>                   1'st if
> 		( FreeBSD box)
> 	          2'nd if                     NET 4
> 		      +-------------NetWare 4.1 ( unreachable from tulip).
>
>   But Netware 4.1 from unreachable network can see from a NET 1-3 :-(

You don't give much information about your patch, so I can't comment on
this. It might be that you just got it to not generate an error when
you ifconfig it, without actually working. Then IPXrouted might pick
up the IPX net and broadcast it on the other nets. That way they might
learn about the broken net, without actually being able to use it.

But to try and figure out what is wrong, I'll have to see the patch
that you have made and also the part of your rc.conf files that have
to do with IPX.

John
--
John Hay -- John.Hay@mikom.csir.co.za