Date:      Mon, 23 Feb 1998 14:47:56 +1030
From:      "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
To:        The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: next trick question...

> 	Well, I got Luigi's patch rolled into the kernel, and cdda appears
> to run fine...but, what is its output format?  And what should I use to
> convert from that to a .mp3?
AFAIK its raw at 44.1kHz 16 bit audio.. The channels are probably the wrong
way around too.. I forget if its signed or not.. Test it and see :)
If you convert it to wav and it sounds bad, you probably guessed wrong :)

> 	I looked at sox, which outputs to a .wav format...but how do I go
> from .wav to .mp3?
You need to get l3enc for Linxu from
ftp://ftp.iis.fhg.de/pub/layer3/l3v272.linux.tar.gz

Its crippleware, but it will encode CD audio unfettered for a month (I think)
and then stop until you get a rego key.. Of course as someone else mentioned
Altavista is a wonderful tool.. =)

The fee is something like US$250 which, IMHO is a dumb thing to do.. $25 would
have been much nicer, and they would have gotten many more sales.. <sigh>

|Daniel O'Connor software and network engineer for Genesis Software |
|http://www.gsoft.com.au                                            |
|The nice thing about standards is that there are so many of them to|
|choose from. -- Andrew Tanenbaum                                   |