Date:      Thu, 30 Apr 1998 14:37:27 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Tom Bartol <bartol@salk.edu>
Cc:        Suttipan Limanond <limanond@enws626.eas.asu.edu>, freebsd-emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: matlab for linux and freebsd

> were not acceptable to many lab members soooo... So, I sent a lengthy
> letter to Dr. Cleve Moler himself (Chief Scientist at the Mathworks), in

Hmmm.  I wonder if Dr. Moler still remembers me - we worked together
on a project back in the mid 80's.  I suppose it wouldn't hurt to
call. :)

> justify the unknown market potential of the product.  By the way, did you
> know that the Matlab language parser was implemented brute-force by hand
> and is NOT written using lex and yacc?

That's pretty funny considering that another other guy working on that
project (and my boss) was Steve Johnson. :-) You'd think something
might have rubbed off.

> Of course, I reported this to the folks at the Mathworks right away with
> detailed instructions on how I got it to work and even a diff file to
> patch their sh scripts so that future releases would be "FreeBSD Linux
> emulator ready".  Their response was, 1)  "that's neat" and 2) "we don't
> support that".  Wonderful.  What really got me steamed though, was a

Grrrrr, those twinks.  You'd think they'd be more cooperative in light
of all the work you did.

Hmmm.  Let me make a few calls and twist a few tails. :)

- Jordan