Date:      Fri, 10 Jul 1998 23:57:18 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Peter Philipp  <philipp@globalserve.net>
To:        Tom <tom@uniserve.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Finger and getpwent

if you want my opion hash comments in /etc/*passwd is just ugly and
wrong.

In the FreeBSD manpage I'll requote what someone else quoted..

     Lines whose first non-whitespace character is a pound-sign (#) are
comments, and are ignored.  Blank lines which consist only of spaces,
tabs or newlines are also ignored.

...yet if you look below and closer...

HISTORY
     A passwd file format appeared in Version 6 AT&T UNIX.  The YP/NIS
functionality is modeled after SunOS and first appeared in FreeBSD 1.1
The override capability is new in FreeBSD 2.0.  The override capability
was updated to properly support netgroups in FreeBSD 2.0.5.  Support for
comments first appeared in FreeBSD 3.0.

That could explain it... the passwd(5) manpage is a little bit ahead of
itself in -stable, and thus comments are most likely not supported as
-stable is not quite at 3.0.  Possible?  I haven't checked the code but
this would make sense.

Peter Philipp (PP2441)
Globalserve System Administration
"How I wish you were here..." - Pink Floyd