Date:      Sat, 18 Dec 1999 23:31:27 +0000
From:      Ian Dowse <iedowse@maths.tcd.ie>
To:        Dan Busarow <dan@dpcsys.com>
Cc:        patrick@whetstonelogic.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sun4c as Xterminal - Problems

In message <Pine.BSF.3.96.991218121251.29200B-100000@java.dpcsys.com>, Dan Busa
row writes:

>Earlier than that.  2.2.5?  It prevents the machine from being used
>as part of a smurf amplifier.  If you want to change the behaviour
>see
>
>icmp_bmcastecho="NO"    # respond to broadcast ping packets

This is different; the change I was referring to stops FreeBSD from
recognising old-style IP broadcasts as broadcasts. If you have a network
172.16.0.0/16, then 172.16.255.255 is accepted as a broadcast address,
but 172.16.0.0 is not. Diskless Sun machines attempt to use the latter,
so the broadcasts get ignored.

The change is older than I thought though. The code was #ifdef'd out
back in Dec 1995 in v1.33 of sys/netinet/ip_input.c, and was removed
completely in v1.48 (Oct 1996).

Ian