Date:      Sun, 16 Aug 1998 17:12:39 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Vince Vielhaber <vev@michvhf.com>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: telnet but no ftp

On 14-Aug-98 Doug White wrote:

> On Thu, 13 Aug 1998, Vince Vielhaber wrote:
>

>> I created a new user using the adduser script.  The new user is in the
>> same group as a few other users.  It has a valid shell and the shell
>> is listed in /etc/shells.  I can telnet into it just fine.  But any time
>> I try to ftp in to it I get:
>>
>> 530 Login incorrect.
>> ftp: Login failed.
>
> Are you _sure_ it's listed in /etc/shells?

Yep, it gives a "bad shell" error if not.  And it's the same shell that I'm
using (no typo's either).

>> What did I miss?  I have other users that (as far as I can tell) are set
>> up exactly the same; same group, shell, etc.  I can't find a thing about
>> it in the book, either.  (no they're not listed in the ftpusers file)
>
> Bad password?

I can telnet in just fine.  I've also tried changing the password a few times
and tried changing the login, same thing.

> Can the other users added the same way log in too?

I tried it on my desktop machine and got the same result a few weeks ago
but didn't bother digging into it yet.  Looking now at master.passwd, the
ones that aren't working have a password field of only 13 characters long
whereas the ones that do work have a length of 34 characters.  Could there
be a connection there?  Also what would cause the shorter encrypted
passwords?

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH   email: vev@michvhf.com   flame-mail: /dev/null
       # include <std/disclaimers.h>                   TEAM-OS2
   Online Searchable Campground Listings    http://www.camping-usa.com
       "There is no outfit less entitled to lecture me about bloat
               than the federal government"  -- Tony Snow