Date:      Sun, 4 Apr 1999 13:20:00 +1000
From:      jonathan michaels <jon@caamora.com.au>
To:        Rowan Crowe <rowan@sensation.net.au>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: pppd redial script

On Sun, Apr 04, 1999 at 11:00:41AM +1000, Rowan Crowe wrote:
> On Sun, 4 Apr 1999, jonathan michaels wrote:
>
> > On Sat, Apr 03, 1999 at 08:45:49PM +1000, Rowan Crowe wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > This is a redial script I wrote the other night, which redials after the
> > > link drops out but backs off exponentially if redial attempts keep
> > > failing. (In Australia, we pay 25c per call, so if the other end is
> > > answering but there's some sort of PPP problem, constant redials could end
> > > up costing $$$). Redial delay is capped at 300 seconds maximum.
> > >
> > > Basically the delays for repeated failed attempts will go something like:
> > > 5, 15, 45, 135, 300, 300, 300...
> > >
> > > Once the link has been up more than 10 minutes, it is considered "stable"
> > > and the redial delay is reset to 5 seconds when it next drops.
> > >
> > > I'd be interested in any comments. Feel free to use it yourselves. To run
> > > it in the background use '&' on the commandline. (the info messages could
> > > probably be >>'d to a log file).
> >
> > one thing that would make ths really usefull, more than an
> > exponential backoff is a determinable cuttof point, that is a
> > point at which teh script 'times out' so to speak and stops
> > trying.
>
> That would be easy to do, simply have a counter which is incremented each
> drop, if it exceeds a preset value then break. The counter is reset to
> zero or 1 at the same time the delay is reset to 5 seconds (when the link
> has been up longer than 10 mins).
>
> > just a thought, for us not free local call types outside of usa
> > telephone thinking/billing areas.
>
> Certainly, although in my situation (client's machines etc) an unattended
> redial is almost essential. :)

i can relate to that, but most people are not in that
situation, most are just leafnodes in teh great tree that has
become teh internetworking family of host systems

> Here are the additions, but they are NOT tested. I've also added in a
> couple of speaker noises as an indication of the link going down, and also
> each redial attempt.

oops, i had a nagging though that i frogot something, and that
would be it rowan .. letting teh admin in teh oter bedroom know
whats going on ... smile.

my link drops out from time to time, i will incorporate these
and let you know how out faverite telco and its cisco 5300
class performs ... er teh script this is.

thanks from this scripturally challanged machine sitter.

regards

jonathan