Date:      Wed,  7 Apr 1999 15:04:47 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      wjw@iae.nl (Willem Jan  Withagen)
To:        rowan@sensation.net.au
Cc:        isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd used in routers?

In article <Pine.BSF.4.01.9904051740390.23899-100000@velvet.sensation.net.au> you write:
>How many of you are using FreeBSD PCs as reasonably high end routers (say
>512kbit/sec+)? What made you choose this solution and what problems did
>you face? What sort of hardware are you using?

We have several heavy-duty routers, which do more than their share of work.
They even route traffic at 1320KBYTE/sec (> 10Mbit/sec), while
running gated with BGP. They have something like 5 100Mb interfaces.
(running on a PII-350, with 128Mb RAM) One of the routers was up for more
than a year before we needed to reboot for maintenace purposes.

So for 512Kbit/sec it would be more than sufficient, I think.

>How do you think the "closed system" of commercial embedded routers
>compares with an open source system like FreeBSD/pppd/ipfw/gated?

You have the sources! and there free. Unlike Cisco's

--WjW

--
Internet Access Eindhoven BV.,  voice: +31-40-2 393 393, data: +31-40-2 606 606
P.O. 928, 5600 AX Eindhoven, The Netherlands