Date:      Sat, 17 Oct 1998 00:53:18 +0100
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: wd0 wdunwedge errors

Doug White wrote:

> wdunwedge is a function in the IDE controller driver that gets called when
> the interface timeouts too much and it needs to try to get the disk
> restarted.

Ah, I see. Like the name says really :-)

> If you get this a lot your disk is going south, something is
> sitting on IRQ 14 or your cables are going bad.

Hmm.. I'm pretty sure no-one's sitting on IRQ 14, so I have to hope it's
the cables. The disk's only about 18 months old, it can't be dead
already :-(

(Would BIOS disk power down settings cause this? I think they caused
timeouts before[1], but it was only a single line I used to see for
them. I haven't seen it for wd2, which takes ages to start up, so it
probably isn't this.)

I've seen no other problems with this disk, so I'll just hope it isn't
too serious.

[1] before what I don't know, probably before upgrading to -current, but
I don't see them anymore.

--
Ben Smithurst                                          ben@scientia.demon.co.uk