Date:      Mon, 10 May 1999 15:59:49 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@narnia.plutotech.com>
To:        Jim Cassata <jim@web-ex.com>
Cc:        scsi@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: scsi timeouts

Moved to the SCSI list where it belongs...

> Hi, I am wondering if any other Buslogic BT-948 users out there are
> experiencing this problem.  On a Dual P2 machine running up to 3.0-SNAP i
> had my workstations running perfect (Dual pentium at home, same card and 6
> gig quantum scsi)  Upon installing 3.0-RELEASE, i started to get scsi
> timeouts on both boxes, a la:
>
> Homer.Web-Ex.com kernel log messages:
>> (da0:bt0:0:0:0): CCB 0xf5544b40 - timed out
>> (da0:bt0:0:0:0): CCB 0xf5544b40 - timed out
>> bt0: No longer in timeout

What kind of drive is this?

The last time I heard of this problem, the guess was that the
BusLogic firmware doesn't deal with 'Queue FULL' very well, so you
have to limit the number of transactions sent to the drive to
something smaller than CAM's default.  Add a quirk entry in
sys/cam/cam_xpt.c that reduces the tag count to ~32 (depending on
the drive) and your problem will likely go away.

--
Justin