Date:      Thu, 3 Feb 2000 12:31:35 +0000
From:      Mike Bristow <mike@urgle.com>
To:        Alex Zepeda <jazepeda@pacbell.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Re/Fwd: freebsd specific search

On Wed, Feb 02, 2000 at 09:59:08PM -0800, Alex Zepeda wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Feb 2000, Michael Bacarella wrote:
>
> > Not to start a flame-fest or anything (but who doesn't love em?), I hear
> > the above quite a lot.
> >
> > I'm under the firm belief that a decent sys admin can rub either system to
> > do whatever they want it to do. Not that I am questioning your abilities.
> > I just get the "yeah, Linux is good, but just try to use it in a
> > production environment and you'll understand" a lot.
>
> Needless to say I think that FreeBSD makes a great desktop environment
> too. What contributes to server sanity also makes things much less
> confusing for a desktop user too :)

True; but linux has support for a bigger variety of soundcards
(my Win98^H^H^H^H^H^HEverQuest machine now has a Live! in it; supported
under Linux but not under FreeBSD AFAIK; so the other half of the disk
may turn turn into ext2 rather than ffs)

The other 2 boxes will, of course, stay FreeBSD.

I generally get the feeling that `Workstation Hardware'[1] has a better
chance of being supported under Linux than FreeBSD.  I may be talking rubbish,
though ;-)

[1] SoundCards; funky USB magic to talk to your digital camera; that kind of
thing.

--
Mike Bristow, Geek At Large	         ``Beware of Invisible Cows''