Date:      Fri, 19 May 2000 18:26:14 +0530
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
To:        Jim Freeze <jim@freeze.org>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Looking for a Newsletter Mail Program

> I am looking for a program that will:

Check out ezmlm (/usr/ports/mail/ezmlm, /usr/ports/mail/ezmlm-idx).
It only works with qmail, but I think it does everything you
want.

> 1) Allow people to subscribe to a list via email, but will authenticate
> through a mail response.

Does that.

> 2) Allow people to unsubscribe from the list.

Does that.

> 2) Will allow one (and only one) person to send email to the group

It has a "moderation" option ie posts to the list will need to
go through a moderator.  I haven't tried that, though.  You can
also allow subscriber-only posts, or posts by anybody.

> 3) Do some nice things such as
> 3a) Check for duplicate names in list

If you try subscribing a second time, it tells you that you were
already there, and remain subscribed.  Of course, it won't know
if it's the same person with a different email address.

> 3b) Allow customizeable functionality for people who reply to the list

Not sure what you mean by that, esp. as you only want one person to
mail the group.  But it does nice things like automatically reject
mails to the list with an empty subject or "subscribe" /"unsubscribe"
subject line, which would be useful on the freebsd lists, I sometimes
think.

Give it a try, and imo, it's worth switching to qmail for this reason
alone.  Setting up a fully functional mailing list with ezmlm is
literally a one-line command, and you can do it under your own account
if you like, you don't even need root access to set up a mailing list.

Rahul.