Date:      Tue, 18 Jul 2000 10:20:14 -0700
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@cup.hp.com>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        cvs-committers@FreeBSD.org, cvs-all@FreeBSD.org, cracauer@cons.org, sheldonh@uunet.co.za, jruigrok@via-net-works.nl
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/i386/include npx.h

Bruce Evans wrote:

> >   Log:
> >   MFC: change default FPU control word.
> >
> >   PR: 17984
>
> Um, this change was intentionally left out of RELENG_3.  The bug is in the
> Linux emulator not keeping up with Linux.

I agree. The point is that there are still people working on 3.x that
want this to be fixed and I didn't want to create execve hooks that late
on a branch (especially without it first being in -current).

> The description misdiagnoses the reason for the exception.  I think I
> explained this already, but the explanation is not attached to the PR.

I read (hopefully) most messages that discuss the change and my general
impression was that people thought it was a good change. And since the
change fixes the Linuxulator related coredumps, I MFC'd it.

I didn't base my decision on floating-point examples. The discussion
made it clear that it's a subtle issue and a 3/4 line FP program doesn't
really tell the complete story.

Martin Cracauer wrote:

> Well, I said I didn't care because I think that 3.4+ is junk anyway
> and hence didn't care if it was in 3.5.

Mind you; people are still using the "junk" we advocated as the "latest
and greatest" a year ago...

> But committing such a major
> behaviour change after the last release of a branch is very
> counter-intuitive.

I was not aware that 3.5 was the last release. I'll back it out if
requested, but that also implies that the Linuxulator will be broken
again (remain broken, depending on how you look at it), because I'm also
not going to spend the needed time to fix the Linuxulator on a "dead"
branch.

--
Marcel Moolenaar
  mail: marcel@cup.hp.com / marcel@FreeBSD.org