Date:      Fri, 18 Aug 2000 03:48:42 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Steve Lewis <nepolon@systray.com>
To:        Stephen Hansen <stephen@cerebralmaelstrom.com>
Cc:        rshea@opendoor.co.nz, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   console vs ttyv0? (was: Suppressing SENDMAIL messages)

On Thu, 17 Aug 2000, Stephen Hansen wrote:

> If you go into /etc/syslog.conf and change each occurance of 'root'
> to /dev/ttyv0, all the messages will only be displayed on the first
> virtual terminal. i'm not sure if there's a difference between
> /dev/ttv0 or /dev/console, which the first line sends stuff to, so
> left it alone.

IIRC /dev/console is only when you are in single-user mode, otherwise you
are sitting on a virtual terminal (ttyv#) (see also /etc/ttys).  I don't
often see syslog running when a system is in single-user mode so I don't
know that this makes much sense, but it is possible.  Unfortunately I am
not sitting at a FreeBSD box I can bring into single user mode and test
this theory of mine.

Perhaps we can get someone wiser in the ways of terms to pipe in.

--Steve