Date:      Fri, 25 Aug 2000 20:28:37 -0700
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        tucka <tucka@fatbastard.zialink.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ipnat fails under load

In message <Pine.BSF.4.21.0008252052260.3518-100000@fatbastard.zialink.c
om>, tu
cka writes:
> You can add me to the list of people who have problems with ipfilter
> under load. 3 boxes, 2 with 4.1-S ipf 3.4.8 and 1 with 4.0-S ipf 3.3.8.
> It doesn't seem to be so much a problem with how many clients are
> accessing the server, but rather just a matter of time. All 3 boxes
> consistently fail after 2 to 4 hours of use. Some can be "saved" via
> an ipf -Fa and reloading, but usually they need to be restarted. I've
> had to go back to SUSE *blech* on one box because it was just unusable.
> If there is any other info I can provide to help resolve this issue please
> don't hesitate to ask.

What's your configuration?  Could you list your IPF and NAT rules?

Next time you have a "freeze", issue ipfstat -s and ipfstat -sl.  If
you're using statefull filtering, could it be that your state table has
filled.

What type of traffic do you generally have going through your
firewalls?  If you use a lot of FTP and use the FTP proxy, 3.4.8 is
broken for some FTP clients -- upgrade to 3.4.9.  If you use RCMD proxy
with rcp or krcp, your state and NAT tables will fill up very quickly,
eventually hanging the box.

I have IPF running on my gateway at home (4.1R), 4 FreeBSD 4.1-R
systems at work (+ 12 Solaris systems), and on two systems at a
friend's ISP (one running 3.4S and the other running 4.0R).  The
versions of IPF range from 3.3.7 - 3.4.9.  All without problem.

One thing to note is that I've disabled IPv6 in all of my kernels
(primarily because I cannot get KRB5 to work through NAT with IPv6
enabled).  This is just a hunch but if you do have IPv6 enabled try
disabling it.

You may want to send a question to the IP Filter mailing list
(ipfilter@coombs.anu.edu.au) or visit the IP Filter Web site at
http://coombs.anu.edu.au/~avalon/ip-filter.html which describes how to
subscribe to the IP Filter mailing list.

The short of it is that you need to do more homework before posting
questions.

Team Leader, Sun/DEC Team   Internet:  Cy.Schubert@osg.gov.bc.ca
Open Systems Group, ITSD, ISTA
Province of BC