Date:      Thu, 14 Sep 2000 14:36:55 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        fjoe@iclub.nsu.ru
Subject:   Re: Trouble with dynamic loading of C++ libs in PHP v4.02 on FreeBSD 4.1

In article <Pine.BSF.4.21.0009142354440.25729-100000@iclub.nsu.ru>,
Max Khon <fjoe@iclub.nsu.ru> wrote:

> libgcc already has support for DWARF2. the only thing that should be
> changed is crtbegin.o/crtend.o.

Yes.

> I have made all the necessary patches for this. I believe, David has
> them.

Actually I now think we should simply build the crt* files from
gcc's "crtstuff.c" in the standard way, rather than having our own
versions.  The gcc versions are messy but they work fine, and they are
specifically exempted from the GPL as long as they are used together
with gcc.

There are some potential problems with backward compatibility when
making this change, but we need to do it anyway.  The performance
penalty from the sjlj exceptions is really terrible.  I think I
decided that using a shared libgcc would help with the compatibility
issues when I looked at the problem a long time ago.  But I can't
remember the details any more.

John