Date:      Tue, 28 Nov 2000 11:44:20 +1100 (EST)
From:      Andy Farkas <andyf@speednet.com.au>
To:        Kenneth Culver <culverk@culverk.student.umd.edu>
Cc:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: compiler optimizations

I built and installed a 4.2-RELEASE world with the following:

CFLAGS= -m486 -march=i486 -O2 -pipe
COPTFLAGS= -m486 -march=i486 -O2 -pipe

...mainly as an exercise in pain (it took about 26 hours :-)

Its a 486DX-66 with 32MB and has been working fine for the last 4 days.  I
doubt I can see any performance increase - the thing is gonna be slow no
matter what I do to it :-)

On Mon, 27 Nov 2000, Kenneth Culver wrote:

> Alright, I knew how to do it but thanks :-) Anyway, I compiled with -Os
> -march=pentiumpro and my kernel started randomly panicing on heavy disk
> activity (once starting netscape, and once syncing disks) so I think I'll
> just stick with the defaults.

> | Kenneth Culver              | FreeBSD: The best NT upgrade.   |
> | Unix Systems Administrator  | ICQ #: 24767726                 |
> | and student at The          | AIM: muythaibxr                 |
> | The University of Maryland, | Website: (Under Construction)   |
> | College Park.	              | http://www.wam.umd.edu/~culverk/|
>
> On Mon, 27 Nov 2000, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
>
> > * Kenneth Culver <culverk@culverk.student.umd.edu> [001127 13:47] wrote:
> > > I'm just curious about something. I noticed the other day that the entire
> > > linux kernel is compiled with options -O2 -m486. I was wondering if this
> > > really causes any performance increase and was also wondering if there is
> > > anywhere on the web that can show this. I am wondering because I was going
> > > to use these options with FreeBSD (or -march=pentiumpro or -mpentiumpro,
> > > and -Os instead of -O2).
> >
> > Yes, the optimization works, however because we still want to support
> > 386s and because of bad experiances with the gcc optimizer in the
> > past we don't really like to debug problems with kernels that have
> > high levels of optimization because sometimes it's gcc's fault (or
> > at least it could be in the past).
> >
> > If you want to compile the kernel and world like that edit /etc/make.conf
> > and add your options to CFLAGS:
> >
> > CFLAGS= -O -pipe
> >
> > --
> > -Alfred Perlstein - [bright@wintelcom.net|alfred@freebsd.org]
> > "I have the heart of a child; I keep it in a jar on my desk."

 :{ andyf@speednet.com.au

        Andy Farkas
    System Administrator
   Speednet Communications