Date:      Wed, 03 Jul 2002 01:52:35 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>, Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: KSE signal problems still

Julian Elischer wrote:
> Should ALL threads be awakened, or is it enough if ONE thread awakens to
> deliver the thread.
>
> For right now it's mostly important that single threaded processs act
> as they used to. We can always change how multithreaded processes
> work.

POSIX makes no guarantees for threads delivery of signals.

Specifically, signals are not thread-things, they are process
things, and there are seperate threads-things for sending the
moral equivalents (e.g. pthread_kill) to threads on an individual
basis, but the system is not expected to make a distinction on
signal delivery as to what theread is running, nor are there
expected to be per thread masking, etc..

Garrett would probably be the right person to ask; he's a much
better POSIX lawyer.

This is really the problem I tried to explain earlier when it
came to the disabling on SIG_POLL on a per descriptor basis.

-- Terry