Date:      Fri, 09 Mar 2001 22:59:47 -0500
From:      The Babbler <bts@babbleon.org>
To:        mikko@dynas.se
Cc:        Barry Lustig <barry@lustig.com>, emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: vmware networking

Actually, whatever is going on, it's worse than what I saw before.  I
can't even ping to the other side of the *same* network.  For example,
if I leave vmnet1 at 192.168.0.1, and set the guest to 192.168.0.2, then
pings in both directions fail.  From the host, it fails with "host is
down" rather than a simple failure to communicate.  Does anybody know
what this means?

(I've also tried setting both sides to 192.168.242.x, where I used to
be, as well as setting the guest as part of my "main" 192.168.147
network and using DHCP.  I can't get any packets from vmware to anyplace
at all.)

> ping 192.168.0.2
PING 192.168.0.2 (192.168.0.2): 56 data bytes
ping: sendto: Host is down
ping: sendto: Host is down

--
"Brian, the man from babble-on"              bts@babbleon.org