Date:      Mon, 24 Apr 95 11:07:42 MDT
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw (Brian Tao)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: DHCP on FreeBSD (was Re: yeah, what is the deal with this?)

> > Too bad you can't bring up ICMP before IP on SLIP.  Otherwise you'd
> > use DHCP in bootp to do it.  Not that anyone has real DHCP support.
>
>     I vaguely remember someone sending from a .jp address reporting a
> go-ahead on DHCP for FreeBSD a month ago (or longer).  Any updates on
> this project?

There are patches for static DHCP out of the SAMBA project.

The problem here is that you have to have an address per machine that
could possibly call in (because the addresses are based on the file
/etc/ethers instead of being dynamically assigned.

There *is* a version out of Japan, but the licensing is rather draconian;
If I don't see a posting on it today, I'll repost the one from before (or
you can look at the maining list archives).  That version *is* a full
dynamic assignment implementation (though I think configuration leaves a
little to be desired).

This neglects the lack of DHCP client support in FreeBSD's PPP clients
and the impossibility of DHCP support for SLIP.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---
or previous employers.