Date:      06 Mar 1997 02:52:04 -0600
From:      Zach Heilig <zach@blizzard.gaffaneys.com>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd@cheese.westminster.edu>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: RAM

> On Wed, 5 Mar 1997, Matthew D. Fuller wrote:
>> I have 24 MB, but the kernel only reports finding 16MB of 'real
>> memory' on bootup.  Is it detecting my extra RAM, and just not
>> reporting it, and is it using it, or what?

> Does your BIOS see it?  Most likely you:

> 1.  Didn't buy enough SIMMS to fill the bank.

> 2.  Have different type or speed SIMMs with a motherboard that
> won't take them.

> 3.  Have bad SIMMs.

> See your motherboard documentation for more details.

Or,

4, Some motherboards BIOS only report up to 16 Meg (all the rest
seem to have a limit of 64 Meg).  Try setting the "MAXMEM" config
variable (see /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/LINT for details).  I heard a
rumor you could also set it from the user kernel config (use the -c
option on boot), but I've never actually tried that.

--
Zach Heilig (zach@blizzard.gaffaneys.com) | ALL unsolicited commercial email
Support bacteria -- it's the only         | is unwelcome.  I avoid dealing