Date:      Fri, 07 Mar 97 16:53:14 -0800
From:      perry@zso.dec.com
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: arplookup failure?

>Regarding Re: arplookup failure?; Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu> adds:

> Your computer seems to be confused at to what network it's connected
> to.  Make sure the ifconfig_* lines in /etc/sysconfig have the
> proper IP address defined.

I found the problem. What was going on is that the machines in
question have static routes to my network. They sent an arp request
directly to my machine asking who it was, since to my routing tables
the machine sending the request was on not on a direct route, I got
that message in the syslog. When I set up static routes to those
subnets, the messages went away. I have a 10M tcpdump which I took to
isolate a few arp and icmp packets. :-)

Thanks.

-Reggie