Date:      Tue, 24 Dec 1996 17:16:01 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Dave Babler <dbabler@Rigel.orionsys.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Adding a new disk

On Sun, 22 Dec 1996, Dave Babler wrote:

> I just added a new WD 1.6GB IDE disk to my 2.1.5-STABLE. I read the FAQ,
> which unfortunately describes behavior of /stand/sysinstall contrary to
> mine (there is no "expert mode" as described in the FAQ, and none of the
> steps was really a good fit, especially the part that said to exit WITHOUT
> comitting any changes). At any rate, I reverted to the man pages and the
> "Running FreeBSD" book. What I did was:

[...]

Apparently the FAQ is outdated (surprise!).

You may want to look at the instruction set I have.  It may just echo
Complete, but it's another procedure.

The 'compatibility mode' instructions are at:

http://resnet.uoregon.edu/dwhite/makedisk.txt

If this disk is going to be dedicated to FreeBSD, use these:

http://resnet.uoregon.edu/dwhite/makedisk2.txt

These are saved messages.  If I get time or bored enough, I'll put these
into good enough shape to submit.  Now I just need some disks to test them
on.