Date:      Sun, 12 Jan 1997 02:56:41 +0100
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Mounting devfs on /dev

As John Fieber wrote:

> FWIW, When I boot on a kernel with DEVFS, but without DEVFS_ROOT,
> then mount devfs, the all the disk entries show up correctly.

Of course.  IIRC, Bruce once wrote that the partitions and slices in
DEVFS are only initialized after the first open() of that disk.

Bummer.  That not only prevents DEVFS_ROOT from working, it also
defeats the idea to handle the dreaded DEVFS `persistancy' from a
script run by the rc(8) shell. :(

--
cheers, J"org