Date:      Fri, 24 Jan 1997 23:45:27 +1100 (EST)
From:      michael butler <imb@scgt.oz.au>
To:        stesin@gu.net (Andrew Stesin)
Cc:        jdp@polstra.com, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Fault-tolerant network with 2 ethernets

Andrew Stesin writes:

> 	Yes. But make sure that a set of IP addresses
> 	used for loopback-aliased router-IDs is _not_ covered
> 	by any of the subnets (address ranges).

You need to exercise some degree of caution with this. The temptation is
to use a subnet with a netmask so small as to only accomodate that of the
loopback interface (255.255.255.252 is commonly used on Ciscos).

This is all well and good when everything else listening to your IGP
understands what it means. If you have "legacy" hardware lying about (some
terminal servers and Cisco 1003s come to mind), you need to be very careful
about what you propagate into other, classful IGPs (such as RIPv1 or IGRP)
so that they too can understand how to forward packets properly.

I suggest trying to arrange things such that appropriate route summarisation
can be achieved by judicious rules in gated.conf on suitable (and
comprehensible) subnet boundaries. In my case, it was easy - such hardware
only gets a default route and nothing else :-)

	michael